Alphabet Books By Theme
This booklist was contributed by Appleton Public Library Children's Services Staff, 8/08
Cats and Dogs
- Clifford's ABC (1983)
- Dog's ABC: a Silly Story About the Alphabet (2002) "Dog is back and into as much trouble as ever. The clumsy canine finds an alphabet's worth of adventure as he patrols his neighborhood..."
- Jeremy Kooloo (1995) One word for each letter of the alphabet tells the simple story about the antics of A Big Cat.
- K is for Kitten (2002) A rhyming alphabet book which follows a kitten named Rosie from the alley in which she is found to the "ZZzzs" she enjoys with the family that gives her a home.
- Mrs McTats and her Houseful of Cats (2001) A woman with a single cat named Abner makes room for twenty-four more cats and a puppy she names Zoom.
- Snoopy's ABC's (1987) Characters from the Peanuts comic strip illustrate words from A to Z, beginning with an angry Lucy and ending with "Zz" from a sleeping Snoopy.
- Walk the Dog (2000) Introduces twenty-six different breeds of dogs and their many canine activities as it takes the readers through the alphabet.
- What Pete Ate from A-Z (2001) In this alphabet book, a child relates some of the unusual things eaten by Pete the dog, including an accordion, a lucky quarter, and Uncle Norman's underpants.
- A Apple Pie (2005) Introduces the letters A to Z while following the fortunes of an apple pie.
- ABC Yummy (1997) An alphabetical tour of good things to eat, from Alicia's appetizing asparagus to Zoe's zesty zucchini.
- Alligator Arrived with Apples (1987) From Alligator's apples to Zebra's zucchini, a multitude of alphabetical animals and foods celebrate Thanksgiving with a grand feast.
- Alphabet Soup (1990) A host of animals from A to Z come to Otter's housewarming party, bringing a wide variety of foods for his alphabetical soup.
- Eating the Alphabet (1996) An alphabetical tour of the world of fruits and vegetables, from apricot and artichoke to yam and zucchini.
- An Edible Alphabet (1994) Depicts edible plants from Apple to Zucchini by means of wood engravings. Includes descriptive index.
- Pierrot's ABC Garden (1993) Pierrot brings his friend Pierrette vegetables and other alphabetical gifts, from asparagus to a zebra.
- Potluck (1991) Alpha and Betty have a potluck and all their friends (Acton to Zelda) bring appropriate alphabetical food (asparagus soup to zucchini casserole).
Going to Work and School
- ABC Doctor (2007)
- Albert's Alphabet (1997) Clever Albert uses all the supplies in his workshop to build an alphabet for the school playground.
- Alphabeep: a Zipping, Zooming ABC (2003) Describes a vehicle or street sign for every letter of the alphabet from Ambulance to Zamboni.
- Annie, Bea, and Chi Chi Dolores (1993) The letters of the alphabet provide a humorous look at some of the activities of young animals at school, including counting, erasing, making music, painting, and snack time.
- The Awful Aardvarks go to School (1997) An alphabetical listing of the acts of destruction committed by mischievous aardvarks on their animal classmates during a visit to school.
- B is for Bulldozer: a Construction ABC (2003) As children watch over the course of a year, builders construct a rollercoaster using tools and materials that begin with each letter of the alphabet.
- C is for Caboose: Riding the Rails from A to Z (2007)
- Community Helpers from A to Z (1998) An alphabet book introducing occupations oriented to the community, including emergency workers, medical workers, the service industry, and business.
- The Construction Alphabet Book (2006) Learn words used in construction and buildings.
- F is for Firefighting (2007) Illustrations and alphabet text introduce readers to the equipment firefighters use and the jobs that they do.
- Firefighters A to Z (2000) An alphabetic look at a firefighter's day.
- Jeepers Creepers: a Monstrous ABC (2002) Twenty-six monsters go to school and learn their letters as each one's name starts with another letter of the alphabet.
- Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten (1996) Introduces the letters of the alphabet as Miss Bindergarten and her students get ready for kindergarten.
- T is for Teachers: a School Alphabet (2005) "An A-Z pictorial for children ages 4-10 explaining school. Letter topics include, the alphabet, kindergarten, books, librarian, and principal. Each is introduced with a poem accompanied by expository text to provide detailed information"--Provided by publisher.
Insects, Birds, and Fish
- The Beetle Alphabet Book (2004) Uses letters of the alphabet to introduce various kinds of beetles.
- The Butterfly Alphabet (1995)
- The Butterfly Alphabet Book (1995)
- Little Bird's ABC (2005) As birds interact with what is going on around them, they make sounds that correspond to the letters of the alphabet.
- Miss Spider's ABC (1998) Jumping junebugs, very vivid violets, entertaining earthworms, and other friends of Miss Spider gather to celebrate her birthday.
- Old Black Fly (1992) Rhyming text and illustrations follow a mischievous old black fly through the alphabet as he has a very busy bad day landing where he should not be.
- Rainbow Fish ABC (2002) Rainbow Fish swims over, under, around, and through the letters of the alphabet.
- A was once an Apple Pie (2005) A collection of twenty-six nonsense rhymes, one for each letter of the alphabet.
- Agent A to Agent Z (2003) A spy named Agent A inspects his fellow spies, all similarly named after letters of the alphabet.
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (1989) An alphabet rhyme/chant that relates what happens when the whole alphabet tries to climb a coconut tree.
- Click Clack Quackity Quack (2005) An assortment of animals gathers for a picnic.
- Could a Tyrannosaurus Play Table Tennis (2002) Each letter of the alphabet is associated with a dinosaur engaging in a ridiculous activity. For example, "G" is associated with a Gallimimus playing golf and "V" with a Velociraptor playing volleyball.
- Dr Seuss's ABC (1991)
- An Edward Lear Alphabet (1999) Pictures and nonsense verses introduce the letters of the alphabet.
- Hooper Humperdink? Not Him (2006) A youngster plans a huge, spectacular party, inviting friends whose names begin with every letter from A to Z--except for one person.
- Hungry Monster ABC (2007) When a child tries to teach the alphabet to ten insatiable monsters, things quickly get out of hand and chaos abounds until the teacher returns with just the right threat to chase them all away.
- Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: a Very Silly Alphabet Book (2007) Letters of the alphabet are hidden in silly pictures.
- SuperHero ABC (2005) Humorous SuperHeroes such as Goo Girl and The Volcano represent the letters of the alphabet from A to Z.
Kids, Family, and Friends
- ABC for You and Me (2000) Photographs show children with Down syndrome in activities with objects corresponding to the letters of the alphabet.
- ABC Kids (2000) Presents one object, person, or animal for each letter of the alphabet, from an apple to a zipper.
- ABC, I Like Me (1997) An alphabet book that explores self-esteem.
- Alfie's ABC (1998) An alphabet book using Alfie and his sister Annie Rose to illustrate the letters from A to Z.
- Alphababies (1998) Rhyming text and illustrations of babies in various settings present the letters of the alphabet.
- The Bouncing, Dancing, Galloping ABC (2006) Presents an ABC of action words starring energetic children who climb, hop, and zoom their way through the alphabet.
- The Human Alphabet (2005) An alphabet made of people -- here are the 26 familiar letters of the alphabet and images to illustrate them, each made with ingenious grips, bends and twists of the human form.
- The Wonders of Me from A to Z (1998) Each letter of the alphabet introduces a brief discussion of a word that has something to do with human development, relationships, or self-concept, such as body, imagination, and quarrels.
- A is for ? a Photographer's Alphabet of Animals (1999) With the letters of the alphabet as clues, readers are challenged to guess the identity of the animals pictured in the photographs.
- ABC Book (1998) Presents an animal for each letter of the alphabet, from antelope and bear to yak and zebra.
- African Animals ABC (2003) Introduces African animals through photographs and brief text that describe one animal for each letter of the alphabet.
- Alligator Alphabet (2005) Animals represent each letter of the alphabet, from alligators to zebras.
- Animalia (1987) An alphabet book with fantastic and detailed pictures, bearing such labels as "Lazy lions lounging in the local library."
- Curious George Learns the Alphabet (1963) The man with the yellow hat illustrates the alphabet for his curious monkey friend.
- Kipper's A to Z (2000) Kipper the dog and his friend Arnold work through the alphabet by collecting animals and other things for each letter.
- The Living Rain Forest: an Animal Alphabet (2004) Introduces twenty-six rain forest animals from A to Z, providing the name, favorite foods, and unique characteristics of each.
- Naughty Little Monkeys (2004) Mom thinks all twenty-six of her monkeys are angelic, but from Andy's wayward airplane to Zelda's trip to the zoo, these little ones find a way to get into mischief for each letter of the alphabet.
- So Many Bunnies: a Bedtime Abc and Counting Book (1998) Old Mother Rabbit's twenty-six children, each named for a letter of the alphabet, are lovingly put to bed.
- Wacky Wedding: a Book of Alphabet Antics (1999) An alphabetical ant wedding, attended by the other animals, is beset by various disasters.
- Wee Sing and Learn ABC (2001) Uses colorful animals in every size and shape to help children learn their alphabet.
- Zoopa: an Animal Alphabet (2005)
- A is for Amos (2007) A rider on Amos goes around the farm and back home to the barn finding all the letters of the alphabet.
- Barney's Alphabet Fun (1998) When Barney visits the farm, he learns the letters of the alphabet.
- A Farmer's Alphabet (1981) An alphabet book of woodcuts featuring activities and objects associated with New England farm life, from Apple, Barn, Cow through aX, Yawn, Zinnia.
- The Hullabaloo ABC (1998) An alphabet book in which two children demonstrate all the fun that is to be had by making and hearing every kind of noise as they dash about on the farm.
- Pigs from A to Z (1986) Seven piglets cavort through a landscape of hidden letters as they build a tree house.
- A Prairie Alphabet, ABC. (1992)
- A B Cedar: an Alphabet of Trees (1989) An alphabet book introducing the leaves from a variety of trees.
- Alphabet Sea (1999) A is for airplane, B is for buoy, and so on, in this rhyming alphabet book with the sea as a theme.
- Antler, Bear, Canoe: a Northwoods Alphabet Year (1991) Introduces the letters of the alphabet in woodcut illustrations and brief text depicting the changing seasons in the northern woods.
- B is for Beach (2005)
- Discovering Nature's Alphabet (2005) Colorful pictures of shapes that look like letters of the alphabet found in nature.
- A Garden Alphabet (1991) Rhyming verses and illustrations introduce the letters of the alphabet and describe how a garden is planned and planted, how things grow, and the joy a garden brings.
- A Gardener's Alphabet (2000) An alphabet book featuring words associated with gardening, including bulbs, compost, digging, insects, and weeds.
- Into the A, B, Sea: an Ocean Alphabet (2000) An alphabet book featuring twenty-six animals found in the ocean and including endnotes giving additional details about each of these sea creatures.
- Over Under in the Garden (1996) An alphabet book of plants and animals found in the garden.
- Plant ABC (2003) Illustrates "a" for apple, "j" for jasmine, and "z" for zucchini, along with brief explanatory text about various plants.
Art and Music
- A is for Artist: a Getty Museum Alphabet (1997) An alphabet books illustrated with details taken from paintings in the J. Paul Getty Museum.
- The ABC Mystery (1993) An alphabetical list of people, objects, and clues leads Inspector McGroom to a stolen work of art.
- ABCs of Art (2002)
- The Alphabet (1993) A mouse trapped in a book discovers the letters of the alphabet.
- Arches to Zigzags: an Architecture ABC (1997) A rhyming alphabet of architectural elements, from arches and doors to I-beams, mantels, and urns.
- The Artful Alphabet (2003) Illustrations representing each letter of the alphabet reveal a variety of objects for the reader to identify.
- The City ABC Book (2001)
- City Seen from A to Z (1983) Twenty-six black-and-white drawings of scenes of city life suggest words beginning with each letter of the alphabet.
- Eight Hands Round: a Patchwork Alphabet (1991) Introduces the letters of the alphabet with names of early American patchwork quilt patterns and explains the origins of the designs by describing the activity or occupation they derive from.
- I Spy: an Alphabet in Art (1992) Presents objects for the letters of the alphabet through paintings by such artists as Magritte, Picasso, Botticelli, and Vermeer.
- The Jazzy Alphabet (2002) The jazzy alphabet boogies and sings, making hot, cool, pizzazzy street-jammin' jazz.
- M is for Music (2003) An alphabet book introducing musical terms, from allegro to zarzuela.
- Museum ABC (2002)
- On Your Toes: a Ballet ABC (2003) Each letter of the alphabet is represented by an illustration of a ballet-related word.
Fun, Toys, and Games
- A is for Annabelle (2000) Learn the alphabet from A to Z with the help of Annabelle the doll. Each gorgeously illustrated spread features one of her favorite things.
- A You're Adorable (1996) An assortment of children and pets climb over, under, and through the letters of the alphabet in this illustrated presentation of a familiar song. Includes music.
- Alphabears (1984) Introduces a bear for each letter of the alphabet and describes its special qualities in rhyme.
- Poor Puppy (2007) When Bad Kitty won't play with him, Poor Puppy has to amuse himself with an alphabetical list of toys and dreams of playing in an alphabetical list of countries.
- Thomas's ABC Book (1998) An alphabet book featuring Thomas the tank engine and his friends.
- Twenty Six Princesses (2008) Twenty-six princesses, one for each letter of the alphabet, go to a party at the prince's castle.
- ABeCedarios: Mexican Folk Art ABCs (2007) This illustrated book for children introduces the alphabet, using painted wooden sculptures of animals made by the Jiménez family, descendents of Manuel Jiménez from Oaxaca, one of the founders of this type of folk art.
- D is for Drinking Gourd: an African American Alphabet (2007) "Using the alphabet to introduce its contents, this book includes topic such as abolitionists, cowboys, Harlem Renaissance, and Kwanzaa"--Provided by publisher.
- F is for Fiesta (2006) A rhyming book that outlines the preparations for and celebration of a young boy's birthday, with Spanish words for each letter of the Spanish alphabet, translated in a glossary.
- M is for Maple: a Canadian Alphabet (2001) Each letter of the alphabet is represented by a name or word derived from some aspect of the country of Canada, and each term is presented in a rhyme and then further explained in a note.
- Autumn: an Alphabet Acrostic (1997) Describes the autumn season, with its animals, rain, cold winds, and harvested food. When read vertically, the first letters of the lines of text spell related words arranged alphabetically, from "acorn" to "zero."
- Spring: an Alphabet Acrostic (1999) Describes spring, with its animals, green smells, and renewed outside activities. When read vertically, the first letters of the lines of text spell related words arranged alphabetically, from "April" to "zenith."
- Summer Stinks (2001) In this rhyming alphabet book, a boy lists all his reasons for disliking summer, from the ants that ate his snack to the zapper he touched by mistake.
- Summer: an Alphabet Acrostic (2001) A companion volume to Autumn: an alphabet acrostic and Spring: an alphabet acrostic.
- Winter: an Alphabet Acrostic (2002)
- Zooflakes: ABC (2002) Snowflake-style cutouts present a different animal for each letter of the alphabet. Includes instructions.
- A Long Trip to Z (1997) An airplane takes off from a child's book, passing an alphabet of sights on its adventurous journey before returning right at bedtime.
- ABC: a Child's First Alphabet Book (2003) In this alphabet book, a is for apple and z is for zoo.
- Achoo! Bang! Crash! The Noisy Alphabet (2003) Words about sound and noise illustrate the letters of the alphabet.
- Dear Dragon's A is for Apple (2007) "A boy and his pet dragon learn their ABCs"--Provided by publisher.
- Elmo's ABC Book (2001) Elmo the little monster cannot decide which is his favorite letter of the alphabet, because he has favorite things for almost every letter.
- G is for Goat (2003) A rhyming celebration of goats and their antics, from A to Z.
- K is for Kissing a Cool Kangaroo (2003) Illustrations and a simple rhyme introduce all the letters of the alphabet, and the word list that follows challenges the reader to go back and find more examples of words that begin with each letter.
- Max's ABC (2006) Max is in trouble as the Ants are taking Bites of his sandwich and drinking his Cranberry juice. Children will enjoy learning the alphabet with Max and Ruby in this charming concept book.
- Quilt Alphabet (2001)
- R is for Race Car: a Stock Car Alphabet (2005) "This book provides readers with details on the famous drivers, history, and statistics from the sport of stock car racing. From A to Z topics such as Bill France, Daytona, helmets, pit stops, and more are explained and illustrated for readers of all ages"--Provided by publisher.
- S is for S'Mores: a Camping Alphabet (2007) "Introduces camping from A to Z using poetry, prose, and illustrations in a children's picture book. Includes information on beach camping, canyons, foliage, camping gear, John Muir, Juliette Gordon Low, and more"--Provided by publisher.
- Talk to Me About the Alphabet (2003) Illustrations and simple text for each letter of the alphabet demonstrate the sounds made by that letter.
- Tomorrow's Alphabet (1996)
- The Z Was Zapped (1987) Depicts how A was in an avalanche, B was badly bitten, C was cut to ribbons, and the other letters of the alphabet suffered similar mishaps.