Cinderella Stories From Around the World
There are many versions of this classic tale from all over the world. Here are some from the library collection.
This booklist was contributed by Appleton Public Library Children's Services, 1/08 7/11
- Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella This version of the familiar story in which a mistreated step-child finds happiness with the "man" of her dreams is set in the old-growth forest and features Bigfoot characters.
- Bubba the Cowboy Prince Loosely based on "Cinderella," this story is set is Texas, the fairy godmother is a cow, and the hero, named Bubba, is the stepson of a wicked rancher.
- Chickerella (2005) This barnyard version of the Cinderella story features a mild-mannered chicken, a fashion-conscious Fairy Goosemother, and a prince at a Fowl Ball.
- Cinderella and the Bowling Slipper Fiona and Frieda love fairy tales. Every day at recess, they act out their favorite stories. Then on the fifty-seventh day of third grade, something amazing happens. Magic sparkles fill the air and the girls discover they have magic rhyming powers. All of a sudden, Cinderella's sitting at the bottom of the curly blue slide and she's crying harder than a kindergartener on the first day of school. Can Fiona and Frieda help Cinderella find her fairy godmother before her mean stepsisters discover her? Will they help Cinderella meet the prince--or will they ruin the fairy tale forever?
- Cinderella at the Ball (2007) A Cinderella Story for beginning readers: aided by her fairy godmother, Cinderella goes to the ball. Includes reading activities.
- Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper (1992) The tale of Cinderella shows up in almost all cultures--even Penguin culture.
- Cinderella Skeleton (2000) A rhyming retelling of the story of a young woman who finds her prince at a Halloween ball despite the efforts of her wicked stepmother. The main characters are skeletons.
- Cinderella, the Dog and Her Little Glass Slipper (2000) In this retelling of the classic fairy tale, an attractive mutt wins the heart of a prince with the help of her canine grandmother.
- Cinderella's Dress (2003) Although mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters, Cinderella meets her prince with the help of two magpies and her fairy godmother.
- Cinderella's Rat (1997) One of the rats that was turned into a coachman by Cinderella's fairy godmother tells his story.
- Cinder-Elly (1994) In this rap version of the traditional fairy tale, the overworked younger sister gets to go to a basketball game and meets a star player, Prince Charming.
- Cinderhazel : The Cinderella of Halloween (1997) An untidy witch named Hazel discovers that Prince Alarming likes dirt as much as she does.
- Cinderlily : a floral fairy tale in three acts Flowers represent all the characters in this version of the classic fairy tale, which is presented in the form of a ballet.
- Cindy Ellen : a Wild Western Cinderella (2000) Cindy Ellen loses one of her diamond spurs at the square dance in this wild western retelling of the classic Cinderella story.
- Ella Enchanted (1997) In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.
- Ella's Big Chance : a Jazz-Age Cinderella (2004) In this version of the Cinderella tale set in the 1920s, Ella has two men courting her--the handsome Duke of Arc and Buttons the delivery boy.
- Fanny's Dream (1996) Fanny Agnes is a sturdy farm girl who dreams of marrying a prince, but when her fairy godmother doesn't show up, she decides on a local farmer instead.
- If the Shoe Fits : Voices from Cinderella (2002) This book features poems based on the various characters in the fairy tale.
- James Marshall's Cinderella (2001) First published in 1989 by Little, Brown and Co. as Cinderella, this version has humorous illustrations by popular author/artist James Marshall.
- Just Ella (1999) In this continuation of the Cinderella story, fifteen-year-old Ella finds that accepting Prince Charming's proposal ensnares her in a suffocating tangle of palace rules and royal etiquette, so she plots to escape.
- Ponyella (2011) Ponyella's dream of showing Princess Penelope her tricks at the pony championship comes true with the help of her fairy godmare.
- Prince Cinders (1988) A fairy grants a small, skinny prince a change in appearance and the chance to go to the Palace Disco.
- Sidney Rella and the Glass Sneaker (1885) Sidney Rella becomes a football player with a little help from his fairy godfather.
- Slender Ella and her Fairy Hogfather Slender Ella, a pig forced into servitude by her stepmother and two horrid stepsisters, goes to the hoedown with the help of her Fairy Hogfather and marries the handsome son of the Goldsnoots of Diamond Snout Hay Ranch.