This booklist was contributed by Appleton Public Library Children's Services Staff, 9/08
My Five Senses
- David Smells (2003) Very simple text presents scenes with David which give examples of the five senses.
- Five for a Little One (2006) A young rabbit explores the world using his five senses.
- Forest Friends' Five Senses (2001) Animal friends share their experiences with the five senses.
- Hello Ocean (2001) Using rhyming text, a child describes the wonder of the ocean experienced through each of her five senses.
- I Saw the Sea and the Sea Saw Me (2001) A girl enjoys using all of her five senses to explore the ocean, but when a jellyfish appears she discovers that the sea is not always nice.
- Look, Listen, Taste, Touch, and Smell (2004) An introduction to the five senses and the organs that perform the functions of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch.
- More than Meets the Eye: Seeing Art with all Five Senses (2003) Provides images of paintings and new, sensory ways to experience them, such as tasting the milk in Vermeer's "The Milkmaid," hearing the music in Tanner's "The Banjo Lesson," or feeling the fur in da Vinci's "Lady with an Ermine."
- My First Book About the Five Senses (2006) Presents an introduction to the five senses, providing illustrations and descriptions with simple text of some of the things that can be experienced with sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell.
- My Five Senses (1989) A simple presentation of the five senses, demonstrating some ways we use them.
- Our Five Senses (2003) Presents a brief statement of the role of each of the five senses.
- A Perfect Day: All About the Five Senses (2004) When the rain ends, the Beasties run outside and use all five of their senses to enjoy the perfect day.
- Sense Suspense: a Guessing Game for the Five Senses (1994) Readers must guess which of the five senses apply to the mysterious photographs which illustrate life on the Puerto Rican island of Culebra.
- You Can't Taste a Pickle with Your Ear (2003) What are the senses? -- Hold your nose -- Please don't touch -- Cover your ears -- Close your eyes -- Stick out your tongue -- All your senses.
- You Smell and Taste and Feel and See and Hear (1997) "Mary Murphy has created a little dog who will become a big friend. In this charming book, small children can experience the world as sensed by this delightful character, from the first taste of breakfast milk to the feel of a big, warm, hug and finally, the sound of a bedtime story"--Back cover.
- Your Senses (2000) Simple text and photographs present the five senses and how they work together.
- Arthur's Eyes (1979) His friends tease Arthur when he gets glasses, but he soon learns to wear them with pride.
- Baby Duck and the Bad Eyeglasses (1996) Baby Duck is unhappy about the new eyeglasses she has to wear, until Grampa helps her realize that they are not so bad after all.
- Brewster the Rooster (2007) When Brewster, a prize-winning rooster, suddenly begins crowing at the most unexpected times, the family tries to figure out what is causing his problem.
- Dogs Don't Wear Glasses (1996) When Nanny Needles mistakenly believes that her dog Seymour has vision problems, she takes him to the eye doctor to be fitted for glasses.
- The Eye Book (1999) A boy and rabbit both have two eyes that see all kinds of things, from blue and red to a bird and a bed.
- Eyes (2005) Young children describe the eyes of different animals.
- Glasses for D.W. (1996) Arthur's little sister wants to wear glasses like her brother and tries to prove she needs them.
- How Animals See Things (1996) Briefly explains how different animals see.
- How Do Animals Use Their Eyes (2008)
- I Need Glasses (2005) A little girl who cannot find her glasses searches frantically for them so that she can read a story to her little brother.
- I See (1995)
- Let's Talk About Needing Glasses (1997) Discusses some reasons why people need to wear glasses, the steps in getting glasses, the teasing one sometimes receives with a change in looks, and the possibility that glasses occasionally break.
- Look! a Book About Sight (2005)
- Magenta Gets Glasses (2002) Perfect for youngsters who are getting their first pair of glasses, a wonderful tale follows Magenta, who can't see anything without squinting, as she goes to the eye doctor and learns that she can see the world much better with glasses--without looking silly in them!
- Open Your Eyes: Discover Your Sense of Sight (2002)
- Robin's New Glasses (2006) Robin worries about how her life will change when she gets her first pair of glasses.
- Seeing (2006) What are my senses? -- What do I use to see? -- How do I see? -- What can I see? -- How does seeing help me? -- What can help me see better? -- How can I take care of my eyes? -- Animals can see, too! -- Test your sense of sight -- Seeing is super! -- Glossary -- Index.
- Sight (1997) Carlos -- What is sight? -- How do you see? -- Your eyes -- Parts of your eyes -- Your lens and your retina -- Sight and your retina -- Sight and your brain -- Eyeglasses -- Having healthy eyes.
- Taking Care of My Eyes (2006) My amazing eyes -- Checking my eyes -- Healthy eyes -- Glossary -- Read more -- Internet sites -- Index.
- Whose Eyes Are These (2003) Examines a variety of animal eyes, noting how they look different and function in different ways.
- Benny (2003) Benny loses his bone and his sense of smell. A visit to Dr. Duncan and his Sniff Machine and a couple of days of rest cure him.
- Follow Your Nose: Discover Your Sense of Smell (2000) Examines the sense of smell, how the nose detects different odors, and how we react to different smells. Includes simple experiments to test the sense of smell.
- Nose=Nariz (2002) A bilingual introduction to the nose, what it is used for, and how to take care of it.
- Smell (2005)
- Smell (1997) Explains the sense of smell, including how the nose works.
- Smelling (2001)
- Smelling (2006) What are my senses? -- What do I use to smell? -- How does my sense of smell work? -- What can I smell? -- How does my sense of smell help me? -- How can I smell things better? -- How can I take care of my sense of smell? -- Animals have a sense of smell, too! -- Test your sense of smell -- Smelling is super! -- Glossary -- Index.
- Smelling (2000) Simple text and photographs present the sense of smell and how it works.
- Sniff, Sniff: a Book About Smell (2005)
- What's That Awful Smell (2004) While investigating an odor in their barn, a group of animals discovers a little piglet and engages in a variety of antics to get rid of the awful smell.
- You Need Your Nose (2002)
- Did You Hear That? Animals With Super Hearing (2001) Many animals have a super sense of hearing. Small rodents call to each other with ultrahigh sounds. Some insects use their ultahigh hearing to avoid bats. Humpback whales can talk to each other from miles away.
- The Ear Book (2007) Our ears hear popcorn popping, flutes tooting, hands clapping, and fingers snapping.
- Elana's Ears, or How I Became the Best Sister in the World (2000) Lacey the family dog is jealous of the new baby that her human parents brought home, until she discovers that the baby cannot hear.
- Handtalk School (1991) Words and sign language depict a group of students involved in putting on a Thanksgiving play at a school for deaf children.
- Hearing (2001)
- Hearing (2006) "Explains the sense of hearing and how the ears work as sense organs"--Provided by publisher.
- Hearing (2005)
- Hearing (2006) What are my senses? -- What do I use to hear? -- How do I hear? -- What can I hear? -- How does hearing help me? -- How can I hear things better? -- How can I take care of my hearing? -- Animals can hear too! -- Test your sense of hearing -- Hearing is super! -- Glossary -- Index.
- Hearing (1997) Explains the sense of hearing, including how the ear works.
- Moses Goes to School (2000) Moses and his friends enjoy the first day of school at their special school for the deaf and hard of hearing, where they use sign language to talk to each other.
- My Ears (2004) Simple text introduces the functions of the human ear, as well as tools that can help people who have hearing problems.
- Patrick Gets Hearing Aids (1994)
- Perk Up Your Ears: Discover Your Sense of Hearing (2001)
- A Place for Grace (1993) With the help of a hearing-impaired man, a little dog finally manages to graduate from a training school for hearing dogs.
- Shhhh: a Book About Hearing (2005)
- Taste (1997) Discusses the sense of taste, including how the taste buds work.
- Taste (2005)
- Tasting (2001)
- Tasting (2006) "Explains the sense of taste and how the tongue works as a sense organ"--Provided by publisher.
- Tasting (2006) What are my senses? -- What do I use to taste? -- How does my sense of taste work? -- What can I taste? -- How does tasting help me? -- What can I taste things better? -- How can I take care of my sense of taste? -- Animals taste, too! -- Test your sense of taste -- Tasting is super!
- Tasting in Living Things (2000) Describes how the sense of taste works in humans and animals and how they use it.
- Your Tongue Can Tell: Discover Your Sense of Taste (2000) Text and suggested activities explore the sense of taste, how it works, and how it can help us detect which foods are sweet, sour, salty, or spicy.
- Yum: a Book About Taste (2005)
- Feeling Your Way: Discover Your Sense of Touch (2001)
- Hard Soft (2001) Uses everyday examples, such as a baseball and a beach ball, to demonstrate the contrast between hard and soft objects.
- I Can Tell by Touching (1994) Explains how the sense of touch helps to identify everyday objects and familiar surroundings.
- Soft and Smooth, Rough and Bumpy: a Book About Touch (2005)
- Texture (1997) Photographs introduce a variety of textures such as wet (a glass of orange juice), ridged (corduroy), and scaly (reptile skin).
- Tickly Prickly (1999) This book helps children explore the variety of textures around them, from a crawling insect to a whiskery bunny.
- Touch (2005)
- Touch (1997) Explains the sense of touch, including a discussion of the skin and nerve endings.
- Touch the Poem (2000) A collection of poems about the sense of touch including a baby's foot in one's palm, peach fuzz on the lip, and the forehead against a cold window.
- Touching (2006) "Explains the sense of touch how the skin works as a sense organ"--Provided by publisher.
- Touching (2006) What are my senses? -- What do I use to touch? -- How does my sense of touch work? -- What can I touch? -- How does touching help me? -- What can I do to help my sense of touch? -- How can I look after my sense of touch? -- Animals touch, too! -- Test your sense of touch -- Touching is super!
- Finger Frolics (1983) Five senses
- Fun with my 5 Senses: Activities to Build Learning Readiness (1998) Presents a variety of activities to build learning readiness for exploring and understanding the five senses. Kids squint, sniff, pat, cup their ears, and tempt their taste buds in activities and experiences that encourage them to explore their fantastic five senses. Early learning skills include color and shape identification, fine and gross motor skills, and appropriate expressions of feelings.
- Inclusive Lesson Plans Throughout the Year (2007) The five senses
- Sense-abilities: Fun Ways to Explore the Senses: Activities for Children 4 to 8 (1998) Presents activities that delve into the characteristics of our five senses, allowing readers to predict outcomes, gather materials, make scientific observations, and respond to their findings.
- Braincandy: my Five Senses (2004) Features funny puppets representing the 5 sense parts and "real" kids engaged in captivating, sensory activities and innovative animations of how the senses work.
- Hi-5 Vol. 6: Summer Rainbows (2008) Make roaring sounds with Curtis using cardboard cylinders. Help Kimee make a moving machine for her dolls. Be a doctor with Jenn and listen to Chat's heartbeat. Songs of the week include Living in a Rainbow; Five Senses; and Feel the Beat.
- It's a Big, Big World: You Can Do It (2007) The five senses -- Spinning a tale -- Learning to fly -- Echoes -- In good voice.
- Lyric Language: Spanish (2003) I have five senses
- Sesame Beginnings: Exploring Together (2006) Witness segments in which Cookie Monster, his Grammy, Prairie Dawn, and Big Bird learn about touching, tasting, feeling, smelling, and seeing the world around them.
- The Wiggles: Getting Strong (2007) The five senses