Sports Stories for Young Children
This booklist was contributed by Appleton Public Library Children's Services Staff, 2/2010
- Albie the Lifeguard (1992) During the summer Albie learns to swim the whole length of the pool without stopping.
- Buzzy's Big Beach Book (2006) Buzzy learns to swim in the ocean and to rebuild his sandcastle after it is washed away.
- The Deep (2000) Alice overcomes her fear of deep water when playful dolphins visit her family's beach.
- Edward in Deep Water (1995) Edward, a shy young bear, is not ready for birthday pool parties with high-spirited, grade-school bears.
- Froggy Learns to Swim (1995) Froggy is afraid of the water until his mother, along with his flippers, snorkle, and mask, help him learn to swim.
- Gaspard at the Seashore (2002) Gaspard goes to summer camp at the beach in the hope of learning to windsurf, but soon discovers that he must first learn to swim.
- Get Set! Swim! (19998) A young Puerto Rican girl learns an important lesson about pride and victory from her mother.
- I Can Swim (2004) George becomes increasingly confident as his father teachers him to swim in a pool.
- I Can Swim (2002) Photographs and simple text show the steps involved in learning to swim.
- Katie Catz Makes a Splash (2003) Fraidy Katie Catz learns to swim with the help of Patsy Polarbear.
- Let's Go Swimming (1990) Kumata Bear enjoys playing in the water but he is not at all sure about learning to swim in the pool in the park.
- Let's Swim (2006) Swimming -- Things you need -- Swimming safely.
- Make the Team Baby Duck (2002) When Baby Duck is not sure she is ready to get into the pool with the swim team, her grandfather encourages her.
- Sergio Makes a Splash (2008) Even though he loves water, Sergio the penguin is afraid to swim in the deep water until he learns how.
- Sidney Won't Swim (2001) Sidney says that swimming is dumb to disguise the fact that he is afraid, but with the help of his friends and an understanding instructor, he learns that swimming can be fun.
- Swimming (2001) Illustrations and simple text describe learning how to swim.
- Swimming Lessons (1998) Although she has found many excuses for refusing to take swimming lessons, Jane finally faces the inevitable and jumps into the water for a very good reason.